Episode Eleven : Sangria in the Sun..

I just had a fabulous day in GORGEOUS Boston.  It hit 65 degrees today, which is the warmest it’s been since last September.  Regardless of (another) Red Sox loss, everyone was smiling and basking in this bright warmness radiating from the sky.  What more can one ask for, Spring is finally here! 


To celebrate the sunny day, the Husband and I went downtown to shop, eat and enjoy all that is around us.  Although we often go downtown to wander, this time we stumbled upon a few new places that in the past, we only scurried past en-route to our destination due to the freezing weather.  After an abundance of shopping (incl. five books from a closing Boarders for under $20, sunglasses and lots of spring clothes), we finally settled in at a café with tables outside for a nice refreshing drink in the sun.  While he got a pint of something (boys), I selected a white-wine Peach Sangria.  It was strong and tasty, exactly what I needed.  The only other white-wine Sangria I’ve had was full of oranges and other citrus fruits, which usually, my stomach can’t handle.  The peach blend was perfect without being too sour.  Now, I love my red blends of vino, but when mixing them with fruit or drinking in the sun, white wine sangria is the way to go for a refreshing afternoon drink.  So much that, I found a delicioso recipe to share with you.

INGREDIENTS
   1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves plus 8 to 10 sprigs
   3/4 cup sugar
   1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
   2 cans peach nectar (23 fluid ounces total)
   1 (750-ml) bottle chilled dry white wine (I prefer Sauvignon Blanc)
   1 large peach diced
   Large Strawberries (optional for sweeter taste)

PREPARATION
Put basil leaves, sugar, and lemon juice into a small saucepan and bruise leaves by mashing with a wooden spoon. Add 1 can nectar and bring just to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes, then pour through a medium-mesh sieve into a heatproof pitcher, discarding basil leaves. Stir in wine, peach, remaining can nectar, and basil sprigs. Chill, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 24. Serve over ice.


I truly believe this is the perfect drink for sitting outside and enjoying the afternoon with your girlfriends (while discussing last nights Reality show and admiring everyone’s cute spring sandals).  I hope you all agree. 


4 comments:

  1. OOhhhh sooo good! I honestly think I will go to the store and get the ingredients. SO good. Love you Shell Shell!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome afternoon is boston!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and ps, you need to fix your blog button. it doesnt work and it doesnt show up on my page????

    ReplyDelete