Episode Fifteen : Here we go....


Who knew building a desk was so difficult. 

Well, to be honest, I don’t think it is.  IKEA makes it idiot (sorry) proof with these awesome visual instructions.  I was raised to put screwdrivers to use…apparently, the husband was not.  Lets start from the beginning.

On Wednesday, I excitedly showed the Husband my dream office inspiration and he said, I could do it IF I got that job.  I’m not saying he had little faith in my ability to get the job, but rather he assumed that if I got the job, I would lose interest in having my own nook in his office.  Well, I got the job, and the first thing I wanted (after champagne) was MY OFFICE NOOK!  So, off to IKEA we went.  I wanted a white corner desk, because it was big enough and girly (and CHEAP), but to be honest, he was right, it didn’t match anything else in our office, and I wouldn’t be comfortable in a miss-match hodge-podge room.  So, I went with the cute girly desk in black brown.  This was originally the one I wanted, but I figured it was out of my price range (turns out, we utilized his price range). 

When we got home, I was all about putting the desk together, but he wanted to wait until this morning.  I figured one of two things would happen, either he would get up and start assembling before waking me OR he would let me do it after he left the house.  Either way worked for me.  You see, he and I don’t do projects well together-meaning, we don’t work well together.  I’m creative……. He’s not.   I understand visual instructions, and apparently the Dutch way of putting together cheap-o furniture.  HE, on the other hand, is more analytical, and could do without pictures (of which IKEA so kindly does not supply) and prefers more expensive (ie, quality) wood that doesn’t split when inserting a screw into a pre-drilled hole.  What fun is that,  I ask. 

Anyway, here we are, him grunting on the floor for about an hour and half putting together my desk, and I’m AT his desk blogging away.  I’m pretty sure some of the sour-moans that came from him were new, and are never to be heard from again.  He’s an office type of guy.  I’m actually surprised that he knows how to change the oil of the car (granted, now he just tells me to go get it done because he’s too busy traveling to DC or in meetings, blah), let alone build furniture.  Turns out, this girl didn’t choose a man like her Dad. 

 I was just informed that we will never make another trip to IKEA, and we will never buy un-assembled furniture pieces again.  It all must be pre-assembled.  Boo, did he forget that we only own a teeny tiny Jetta?  You can’t put anything in there (ok, you can, but that’s beside the point).  I still need the shelves that we didn’t pick up last night because we needed to measure the room first.  Perhaps, Ill go pick up the shelves and bring them home and assemble them while he’s on one of his trips.  I’m pretty certain I can do it in less time that him, and he’ll never know..  Wink wink.

So, I’m 20 percent on my way to my very own dream office (nook).  Next, shelves, matching colorful boxes and desk accessories, and building my Inspiration wall.  So excited. 
PS, as I’m sitting here at my new desk, I’m remembering the other reason why I never spend time in this room, this has got to be the coldest room in the house!?!  Arg..

PSS.  Remember when I said the Husband doesnt send me cute notes to save on my inpiration wall?  Well, he just text this picture to me.  Its the rock we got married on at the Boston Public Garden.  Its getting so beautiful out!!  

1 comment:

  1. Loooove how you displayed everything! + the colour of your wall is smashing!

    ReplyDelete